Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Experimentation__"::facet4D

Posting Versus Blogging

Yesterday, our teacher for this experimental blog class gave us several links to people also interested in the potential uses for 'blogging' in schools. After scouring the internet through leads from various sites, the biggest being Will R.'s blog. Will expressed dismay with the idea of 'blogging' being misconstrued with merely more online journaling. Through his leads I came to the conclusion that many people are misusing 'blogs'. Looking back, I have misused blogs, such as a personal one at Xanga, where I'm simply 'journaling'. I'm part of the problem, essentially, but I am willing to make the stride to blog properly.

There's a potentiality of disaster with the blogging system that needs to be addressed. Elle brought up a very crucial point: "You know, I'm really curious about something. I was wondering what would happen beyond my school". She does state the situation in our school, in which we all abide by our basic rules, the biggest one being respect. We are all respectful of our peers opinions, the foundation of the school is built on this. At a larger school, however, these blogs could be grievously misused by people who are unable to tactfully deal with this new technology on a mature level. A big issue I think that most of the people making these decisions about weblogs is that they view journals. There are students out there who are capable of developing the blogging 'skill', whereas some do not realize the difference between journaling and blogging.

Journaling is ranting, or 'diary-keeping'. The technophiles who spend time posting on Xanga, LiveJournal, and the sort do not show what students are capable of. These people that 'journal' on a blog could just as easily write this down but they feel the need to receive input... Why? Generally this is a call of desperation or they just want some attention. Again, and I repeat, this is not blogging, nor is it what our experimental class is trying to conduct.

Blogging is the definitive source for information transfer. Imagine an entire months research for a midterm paper all at the click of a button. Blogging could revolutionize the way papers' are written. Will R. said:

But I've never in my life written the way I write in this Weblog. And frankly, I don't know that I've learned as much from any other type of activity as I have from this type.

I think that right there provides an ideal reiteration of exactly what we are trying to accomplish as a class. We want to revolutionize the way we view the internet's resources, and more specifically, the way we communicate ideas through our close community, and potentially the entire country... Maybe the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home