Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Experimentation__"::facet5E

Idealistic Thought

I sat down at my computer this evening, and the first thing I thought of was an issue I failed to mention during class. Bud had mentioned earlier that a group of fifth graders are partaking in a similar crash-course blogging experiment, and after reading up on it a bit more, I began to wonder... When would this technology be introduced to us as students? Anne Davis stated that:

"We're going to talk about all this and work on our new weblogs. Can't wait! We may try to "tweak" Mr. Richardson's writing a bit and have a model for elementary kids!"

I was instantly curious just to know when this technology would be feasible for a child to understand. Blogging has been defined as many as a 'skill' that needs refining and in some cases will need to be taught, and if this is the case, could this potentially become part of the everyday curriculum such as English or Math? Would this be an elective course like Music or P.E.? I may be misunderestimating the younger generations, but I do feel that weblogging would not be properly utilized until they have matured more. Additionally, even if it was properly described and explained, would a student at the age of ten or eleven be able to grasp the concept of how powerful 'blogging' is? I'm just throwing out ideas here, I want to know what others think.

If this tool is introduced early enough perhaps it could change the way High School and higher education is dealt with, but on the other hand, if it is introduced too early or too late the potential benefits may not be seen and this could become just as mundane as writing 20 minutes on a prompt with no basis in reality.

1 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger Nancy McKeand said...

I think you are right that a child of ten wouldn't understand how powerful blogging can be. But I am not sure that would be a bad thing. Maybe just familiarity with the medium is enough for that age. They can build on that later.

Anne Davis' kids probably don't truly grasp it, but they get glimpses from time to time, I think. With teachers like Anne to guide them through the process, I'm pretty sure they will get there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home